This article may contain affiliate links for which we may receive a small commission if purchases are made through these links. We thank you for your support.
The history behind Australia’s ANZAC Biscuits
ANZAC Biscuits have been linked to Australia for decades so I’ve included my favourite recipe for everyone to enjoy.
An Anzac biscuit is a sweet biscuit, popular in Australia and New Zealand, made using rolled oats, flour, sugar, butter, golden syrup, baking soda, boiling water, and desiccated coconut.
Long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I , these biscuits were sent by wives and women’s groups to soldiers abroad because the ingredients don’t spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.
Childhood Memories of Widgee’s Biscuits
As a small child I remember helping my grandmother baking her famous Widgee’s Biscuits. These biscuits were a treat for their much loved ‘blue healer’ dog, Widgee and if we were very very good, we could have one of Widgee’s biscuits!
It was not until I was a young Mum myself that I discovered Nana was baking ANZAC Biscuits for Widgee.
[bctt tweet=”ANZAC Biscuits were a tradition in my family. What do they mean to you? ” username=”aussie_mob”]
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 125 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 /2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to a slow 150 C (300 F)
- Prepare 2 oven trays with baking paper, or brush lightly with butter
- Place flour, oats, coconut & sugar into a large mixing bowl, stir until combined.
- Combine butter and golden syrup in small pan, stir over high heat until melted.
- Mix soda with boiling water, add to melted butter and syrup.
- Add to flour mixture, stir until combined.
- Shape level tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and flatten slightly, place onto prepared trays with a small space apart.
- Bake 15- 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes
- Loosen biscuits and cool on a wire rack before packing into an airtight container.
Makes about 25.
Quick and Easy to make